1. The oldest breed of dog is the Saluki.
2. An annoyed camel will spit at a person.
3. In Denmark there are twice as many pigs as people.
4. A giraffe can clean its ears with its 50cm (20 in) tongue.
5. The South American giant anteater eats more than 30,000 ants a day.
6. The giant squid has the biggest eyes of any animal: its eyes measure 16 inches (40 cm) in diameter.
7. Animals also are either right-handed or left-handed. Polar bears are left-handed – and so is Kermit the Frog.
8. Unlike other “big cats” the cheetah does not roar – however it does purr and make high pitched yelps, barks and chirruping sounds.
9. The slowest fish is the seahorse, which moves along at about 0.01 mph
10. Dolphins can reach speeds of 37 mph
11. Crocodiles’ tongues are attached to the roof of its mouth, so they can’t move it.
12. Domestic cats purr at about 26 cycles per second, the same frequency as an idling diesel engine
13. There are 701 types of pure breed dogs
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!(Leave your link with Mister Linky when you comment, and I’ll add you here!)