1. The moon is not a planet, but a satellite of the Earth.
2. The surface area of the moon is 14,658,000 square miles or 9.4 billion acres
3. Only 59% of the moon’s surface is visible from earth.
4. The moon rotates at 10 miles per hour compared to the earth’s rotation of 1000 miles per hour.
5. When a month has two full moons, the second full moon is called a blue moon. Another definition of a blue moon is the third full moon in any season (quarter of year) containing 4 total full moons.
6. From Earth, we always see the same side of the moon; the other side is always hidden.
7. The multi layer space suits worn by the astronauts to the moon weighed 180 pounds on earth, but thirty pounds on the moon due to the lower gravity.
8. The moon is the only extraterrestrial body that has ever been visited by humans. It is also the only body that has had samples taken from it.
9. The first space craft to send back pictures from the moon was Luna 3 which was built by the Soviet Union.
10. The moon has no global magnetic field.
11. The moon is about 1/4 the size of the Earth.
12. On the moon, there is no wind or water.
13. The Apollo missions brought back 2196 rock samples weighing 842 pounds in total.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!(Leave your link with Mister Linky when you comment!)
SIGN UP & GET A FREE BOOK!